Topics: Importance of Cocopeat, Use of Cocopeat, Use of Cocopeat for Nursery Plants, Role of Cocopeat in Horticulture, Preparation of Cocopeat. Procedure of Cocopeat preparation. Coconut Husk (Coir), Future Potential.
|1.1||What is cocopeat?|
|1.2||Types of cocopeat.|
|2.||Procedure of Preparation of Cocopeat.|
|2.2||Collection of coconut husk.|
|2.3||Drying the husk.|
|4.||Importance of Cocopeat.|
|5.||Use of Cocopeat.|
|5.1||Application of cocopeat.|
|6.||Functions of Cocopeat.|
1.1 What is Cocopeat?
Cocopeat is an organic matter used as plant growing media which is prepared from coconut husk, also known as coir. It is an very important growing media in Horticulture e. g., plant nurseries.
1.2 Types of Cocopeat
- Semi grinded (small to large particles).
- Fine grinded (fine particles).
2. Procedure of Preparation of Cocopeat
Procedure of preparation of cocopeat is very easy. It can be produced in mass quantity in a small place adopting vertical system.
2.1 Required Materials
- Coconut husk.
- Drier (optional).
- Block or Sancha (optional)- Mould, Shape etc.
Coconut husk: Coconut husk is key substance. Coconut husk obtained from any cultivar can be used to prepare cocopeat.
Drier: This is optional. Coconut husk can be drid rapidly inside the drier. After drying, it can be crushed easily into fine parts.
Seive: Seives are used to filter the grinded choir. Filtered coir is used as cocopeat.
Grinder: Grinder is necessary to grind coconut husk and converting it into dust form.
Sancha: Sancha is used to make blocks of cocopeat. Size of block can be small to large. It can easily be sold online.
2.2 Collection of Coconut Husk
The ways of collection of coconut husk are as follows:
- Coconut farm.
- Local vender of coconut.
- Religious places like Temples.
- Tourism places.
- Purchasing of coconut husk.
Coconut Farm: Owners of coconut farm make cocopeat from coir to use it in farm. Some farm owners don’t follow this practice. Find them and make a cheap but great deal.
Local venders: contact local vender near your home. Find 10-20 venders. Contract with them so they can collect it for you. You can get quintals of coconut husk.
Religious places: religious places are great place for the mass collection of coconut husk. Here you will find tonnes of coconut husk within a month for free of cost, totally. For example- All Hindu Temples.
Hire a man so he can collect it for you.
Tourism places: if a tourism place is of religious significance, then you can find tonnes of raw material for cocopeat.
Hire a man so he can collect it for you.
Purchasing coconut husk: purchase coconut husk in bulk and start making cocopeat.
2.3 Drying The Husk
Coir can be dried by exposing it to sunlight. Commercial drier can also be used for drying process. Dry it very well so the excess water can evaporate. Methods of drying the coir are:
- Sun drying.
- Artificial drier.
- Use ceiling fans.
- Use fan coolers without water.
Also Read: Cultivation of Oyster Mushroom
- Manual grinding.
- Mechanical grinding.
2.4.1 Manual Grinding
Manual grinding can be time consuming and requires labours as man power. The husk can be cut into very small pieces using sharp implements.
2.4.2 Power Grinding
Power grinding is very efficient. Husk can be converted into fine particle as powder.
2.5 Making Blocks
Use sancha to make blocks of 1 kg, 2kg, 3kg, 4kg or 5 kg and so on.
Mix water in power so the fine particles can adhere with each other.
3. Important Activities
- Filter unwanted salt: use water to remove unwanted salt. Wash out it using water. Soak it in water and filter it.
- Remove: remove radical ions using water.
It also decreases electrical conductivity.
4. Importance of Cocopeat
- It is organic in nature.
- Raw material is easily available.
- Input is almost zero.
- Transportation is easy because its light weight.
- Beneficial for both the plants and soil micro organism.
- Improves soil fertility.
- Increase soil porosity increasing aeration which is beneficial to the plants.
- It had long lasting biological effect in soil.
5. Use of Cocopeat
Cooperation is an organic media. It is used in various form og gardening e. g., Terrace gardening, indoor gardening, kitchen gardening, landscape gardening, ornamental gardening etc. Use of cocopeat in organic farming is a very good option.
5.1 Application of cocopeat
- In plant pots: generally ornamental show plants are grown in different pots. Pots are filled with the growing media i. e., soil. Cocopeat can be mixed with soil along with other growing media @ the ratio of 2:1:1.
- In plant trays: plant trays are used for the propagation of new plants using seed. Cocopeat is filled in plant trays as growing media.
- Orchid plants: a very important growing media fro orchid plants.
Also Read: Also Read Lawn Making
6. Functions of Cocopeat
- To loose soil– soil becomes loose. It is comfortable zone for plant roots.
- Increase soil porosity- soil porosity can be increased by adding cocopeat in soil.
- Provide an ideal micro-environment for micro-organism.
- Retain soil moisture on the upper layers of soil.
Price– 5500 INR per Ton. It is production rate. Transportation charges will be applicable.
Email– [email protected]
Mo. No.– 6267219350.
- List of Crop Insurance Companies in India
- List of Faculties in an Agricultural University in India
- Bio-fertilizers for Paddy (rice) Plants
- Agriculture GK and Current Affairs
- Home Page: Agriculture Objective Multiple Choice Questions Links