Papain: Method, Procedure of Extraction >> Papain is a valuable proteolytic enzyme which helps in the digestion of protein rich foods. It is extracted from mature papaya.
|(1). Papain: Method, Procedure of Extraction|
|(2). Step by Step Method (Procedure) of Preparation of Papain|
|(4). Important Point|
|Read About Papaya Variety Taiwan or 786|
(1). Papain: Method, Procedure of Extraction
1.1 What is Papain and What are it’s Importance
Papain is liquid chemical which is used for various commercial purpose.
In this post we will know about the method (procedure) of papain Extraction.
1.2 What types of papayas are used for the extraction of papaya?
Matured, but unripe papayas are used to extract papain from papaya.
1.3 How Papain is Manufactured?
Papain manufactured from the white latex of unripe papayas.
1.4 What are the Importance and Medicinal uses of Papain?
Similar to the animal enzyme pepsin papain is reputed for its medicinal and industrial uses. It is used for the treatment of ulcers, and also other ailments.
Other medicinal qualities are:
- Valuable medicines are prepared.
- It is valuable in indigestion.
- The chemical is used in diphtheria.
- It checks over growing of moles.
- Also useful in heart, liver and many skin diseases.
Skin blemishes are said to vanish when treated with papain.
1.5 What are the Industrial Importance and uses of Papaya?
- Papain has many industrial uses and Importance.
- Is used in brewing industries.
- The chemical is also used in textile industries.
In which product(s) papain is used?
- Chewing gum.
- Le_ther sanforization.
- Processing of natural silk.
- To free the milk.
- Preparation of beauty cream.
- And also preparation of toothpaste.
Uses in Different Countries
These countries export papain from Sri Lanka.
There are more possibilities of papain production in India.
1.6 Why should a farmer must care about producing papain?
A farmer must care about producing papain, because it is the extra source of income from farm.
(2) Step by Step Method (Procedure) of Preparation of Papain
- Required Equipments and Materials.
- Size of the Fruits.
- Best time for Making Cuts.
- Making Cuts on Fruits.
- Storing or Collecting Milk.
- Repeating the Process.
- Total Cuts.
- Drying the Milk.
- Making Powder.
2.1 Required Equipments and Materials
- Razor (Blade), knife (stainless steel), bamboo stick, or small pieces of glass.
- Glass pot, ceramic pot or aluminium pot.
- Hand gloves.
- Potassium metabisulphite (KMS).
Papain can be extracted from the beginning of rain and up to the November.
2.3 Size of the Fruit
Fruits are ready to be extracted..
- When fruits are bigger than the size of well developed apple fruit.
- When fruits are about 2.5 to 3 month old.
2.4 Best time for Making Cuts
- Morning time is the best time to make cuts.
- Milk flow is best from early morning to 11 am, so it is the best time to extract papain.
2.5 Making Cuts on Fruits
To make cuts on fruits, use of the following equipment..?
- Razor (Blade).
- Knife (stainless steel).
- Bamboo stick.
- Small pieces of glass.
Make 4 equal longitudinal cuts of fruit surface.
The depth of the cut should be 0.3 cm.
Wear hand gloves during making cuts.
Also Read: Fish farming in Tarpaulin Fish Tank
2.6 Storing or Collecting Milk
Use one of the following equipment to store the milk:
- Glass pot.
- Ceramic pot.
- aluminium pot.
2.7 Repeating the Process
Repeat the process 4 to 5 time at the intervals of 3 to 4 days.
2.8 Total Cuts
- The maximum numbers of cuts depend on the size of fruit.
How to know that there are enough cuts on the surface of fruits?
The distance between the two cuts should be 1 cm.
It takes 15-20 days to get all the milk sap from a fruit.
2.9 Drying the Milk
- Dry the in sunlight. It is drying.
- Or dry it using oven in 100°F for 24 hours.
2.10 Making Powder
- Powder the dried papain by means of wooden mallets (बेलन). Or,
- Use electrically operated granulators.
- Sieve the powder through 10 mesh sieve.
- Pack the powder in polythene bags in convenient quantities and seal them.
- Put the sealed bags in a tin container and seal it after evacuating air.
Method Flow Chart
- By one fruit: 3 – 10 gram papain.
- By one papaya plant: 200 – 450 gram.
- From one hectare: 7 – 8 quintal per hectare.
- Benefit: 2,000.00+ INR per kg (powder).
3.1 How much papain a single man can extract?
By doing 10 – 12 hrs of work, a single man can extract 0.5 kg of papain.
3.2 How to Increase the yield of papain?
To increase the yield of papain, use some growth regulators or plant growth hormones. The use of these growth regulator hormones also increases the quality of papain.
Some plant growth regulators are as followed:
- 2, 4 – D (10 PPM).
- 2, 4, 5 – T (25 PPM).
- NAA (50 PPM).
- GA (10 PPM).
Apply these chemicals after the opening of the flowers.
3.3 What are some varieties suitable for papain production?
Some popular varieties are as follows:
- First Pusa delicious.
- Second Pusa Majesty.
- Pusa Dwarf.
- Co.2 and Co.5 varieties of papaya released by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore are ideal for papain production.
(4). Important Point
- After the extraction of papain, the fruit doesn’t loss quality.
- There is no change in taste.
- There is no change in nutritional properties of the fruits.
- Apply 0.5% KMS in milk before drying.
- Exposure to air deteriorates the quality of papain, and vacuum sealing is therefore necessary.
- For large scale manufacture of papain, use vacuum sealing machine and a granulator.
- Srivastva, S. S. 2005-06. Horticultural Science. Central Book House, Sadar Bazar, Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University. tnau.
- Papain: Method, Procedure of Extraction
- Agriculture Statistic Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) With Answer
- What is Seed Plot Technique in Potato
- Plant-crops Physiological Disorders Multiple Choice Objective Questions
- Plant Physiology Multiple Choice Objective Questions and Answers: Agriculture Competitive Exams