Rice Moth (Corcyra cephalonica)
Subject– Stored Grain Pests, Post Harvest Pests, Rice Moth, Rearing of Rice Moth, Rice Moth M. Sc. Ag. Thesis, Rice Moth Video.
|Scientic name||Corcyra cephalonica|
It is found in Asia, Africa, North America and Europe. It is a major post harvest pest of rice growing in the world e. g., India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Philippines, Indonasia etc. In India, it is found in all rice growing states.
Major Host– rice grain.
Other Hosts– gram, sorghum, maize, groundnut etc.
Rice moth is active from March to November. Female lays eggs on grains. Egg hatches in a week.
Larval stage is the most destructive stage. Eggs hatch in a week and the larval stage last for up-to a month.
It goes to pupal stage in during winter season. Pupal Sarge can be observed in case of long period of winter in the month of February. Pupal stage runs for 9 – 15 days.
Adult stage is a moth.
- Adults lay eggs on the grains, storage structure and on the other objects inside the storage room.
- Egg hatches within a month.
- Larvae prefer to attack the damaged grains.
- Web like structure can be seen on rice heap.
(1). Korat, D. M. (2011-13) investigated on rearing of rice moth in different grains. He found broken sorghum to be most suitable for rearing of Corcyra cephalonica.
The above research indicates the broken cereals including rice are the most suitable object for Corcyra cephalonica as food.
(2). Kanawade and Sandip (2011) studied the biology and life-fecundity tables of rice moth in cereals. The highest larval and pupal development was observed on rice – 37.36, 52.41 and 61.27 the pearl millet was most suitable for the growth and multiplication of Corcyra cephalonica.
- Kanawade and Maruti Sandip (2011). Biology and life-fecundity tables of rice moth (Corcyra cephalonica) on cereal grains. M. Sc. Ag. Thesis, College of Agriculture, Lathur, 2013.
- Korat, D. M. (2011-13). Study on rearing of rice moth, Corcyra cephalonica (Stainton) – A factitious host for mass production of important bio-control agents. M. Sc. Ag. Thesis, Anand Agriculture University, 2013.
- Economic Importance of Relay Cropping (Utera/Paira Kheti): List of Crops and Crop Model
- What Is CHAMPS (चैंप्स) And How To Apply Manually? Step By Step Procedure To Fill Application Form
- Cultivation Practice of Vegetable Plant-crops Under White Shade Net (Photo/Image)
- 2 Dimensional Crop Cultivation: 2D Crop Cultivation
- Mango Flower and Fruit Drop: Reason and Control Measures