Fresh Water Aquaculture Using Tarpaulin Fish Tank – Fish Farming in Tarpaulin Fish Tank is an Advanced Technology in Fish Farming which uses fresh water to produce high quality fish in a very small piece of land.
Table of Contents
|2.||1.1||Fresh water aquaculture|
|3.||1.1.1||What is fresh water aquaculture?|
|4.||1.1.2||Source of fresh water|
|5.||184.108.40.206||Natural water body|
|6.||220.127.116.11||Artificial water body|
|7.||1.1.3||List of plant, animals and other organism under aquaculture|
|8.||1.2||Tarpaulin fish tank|
|9.||1.2.1||What is fish tank|
|10.||1.2.2||What is tarpaulin?|
|11.||1.2.3||Required characteristics of tarpaulin fish tank|
|12.||1.2.4||Why tarpaulin fish tank|
|13.||1.2.5||Ideal structure of tarpaulin fish tank|
|14.||2.||Procedure of establishing tank|
|16.||2.2.||Selection of site|
|17.||2.3||Establishing fish tank|
|18.||2.3.1||Marking for circle|
|19.||2.3.2||Establishing Iron frame|
|20.||2.3.3||Placing tarpaulin sheet|
|22.||3.1||List of spp. of fish|
|23.||3.2||Where to purchase seed of fish|
|24.||3.3||Pre-requirements before releasing fish seed.|
|25.||4.0||Maintenance of fish and biofloc|
|26.||4.1||Maintenance of biofloc|
|27.||4.2||Regulation of Tank’s water|
|29.||5.1||Procedure of harvesting|
List of Figures
|S. N.||Sequence||Name of figure|
|1.||01||Tarpaulin fish tank|
|2.||02||Mesh for tank|
1. Introduction: Fresh Water Fish Farming and Tarpaulin Tank
1.1 Fresh Water Aquaculture
1.1.1 What is fresh water aquaculture?
Fresh water aquaculture is a method of production/farming or rearing of aquatic plants and animals in non saline water such as lily, fern, tortoise, prawn, crustaceans and most importantly fresh water fish. Commercially, it is practiced in many Asian, American, African and European countries.
1.1.2 Source of fresh water
Earth’s 71% surface area is covered by the water. The ratio of saline and fresh water in the world is 97/3. According to wikipedia 97.5% of earth’s water is covered saline water body. For fresh water aquaculture, fresh water is obtained from various sources.
18.104.22.168 Natural water body
Only 3% of earth’s water is covered by the fresh water. Natural water body such as fresh water lake is a mega resource for for fresh water aquaculture. The Others natural fresh water resources as fallows:
- Natural water catchment area such as small ponds.
- Glacier- after melting.
22.214.171.124 Artificial water body
Fresh water is one of the most important thing in the world along with air. Many species of fishes and aquatic plants depend on fresh water for their survival.
Large artificial water bodies are constructed for the production of fish and also for other aquatic farming activities.
In the industry of commercial fish farming fresh water is held inside a durable water holding bodies. The list of artificially developed fresh water bodies are as fallows:
- Cement pool.
- Large plastic tanks.
1.1.3 List of plant, animals and other organism under aquaculture
Table 01. Different aquatic organisms in fresh water aquaculture
|1.||Fish||Different spp.||eg., Rohu, Pangasius, catfish.|
|2.||Tertoises and turtles||Different spp.||Fresh water turtles|
|3.||Fern||Different spp.||Azolla pinnata|
1.2 Tarpaulin Fish Tank
1.2.1 What is Fish Tank?
Fish tank is an artificial structure made by different materials. It can be made by using cement, bricks, sand and stone, it is called cement tank.
Tank made by steel and fiber sheets are generally used in RAS or Recirculated Aqua System which is a high cost unit in commercial fish farming.
|S. N.||Types of tank||Remarks|
|1.||Tarpaulin tank||Don’t need RAS.|
|1.||Cement tank||Good in RAS. very difficult to minimize amount of ammonia without RAS. Needs extra coating material.|
|2.||Fiber tank||Fiber Tanks are advanced and designed according to need. Can be used with or without RAS.|
|3.||Steel tank||Compatible with RAS. It requires high investment.|
|5.||Polythene Sheet tank||Used for short duration. Best for exhibitions.|
1.2.2 What is Tarpaulin?
Tarpaulin is a strong and thick sheet of polyethylene. It can also be made from other substances. It is very resistant, water proof and adjustable, and used to cover agriculture products and other things. It is commonly known as ‘Tripaal’ in Hindi.
Quality of tarpaulin depends on different manufacturers, and its quality is measured by GSM (Gram Per Square Metre). A tarpaulin tank of high volume is very necessary for commercial fish farming.
Generally, 200 – 520 GSM tarpaulin sheets can be used for one to two season crop for making small tarpaulin tank if maintained and managed properly.
Very low category tarpaulin, for example 50-60gsm, is used in vermicomposting.
1.2.3 Required Characteristics of Tarpaulin Fish Tank.
- A commercial tarpaulin fish tank should be made of a minimum 500 GSM tarpaulin sheet.
- Frame of tank should be made of iron mesh. There is always a possibility of blast of cement tank.
1.2.4 Why Tarpaulin Fish Tank?
The benefits of fish tank made by tarpaulin are:
- It is flexible, water can adjust itself inside tank.
- Management of ammonia is easy compare to cement tank.
- Very less amount of water needs to be rotated/replaced as compare to RAS.
- Easy to develop bioflock.
- Easy to harvest fish.
- It is transferable.
1.2.5 Ideal Structure of Tarpaulin Fish Tank.
Size and the shape of a tank can affect the overall growth and production of fish in a tank.
Round shaped Tanks are more efficient than square or other shaped Tanks. A tank with radius of 2 metre provides required space for… fish. Other benefits are as fallows:
- Bit of fish acc_mulates near the centre of tank at bottom place where outlet has been created.
2. Procedure of Establishing Tank
2.1 Required Materials/Resources
- Testing kits for- Ammonia metre, PH metre, thermametre.
- Tarpaulin sheet of minimum 500 GSM.
2.2 Selection of Site
Plain land should be preferred over uneven land. Availability of fresh water is the first criteria.
2.3 Establishing Fish Tank
2.3.1 Marking for Circle
- After collecting all required things take a measuring tape.
- Mark a point at any where in land as Tank’s centre.
- Place the starting point of the tape and make a circle around it with 2 metre’s radius.
- Mark all the measuring with any substance like lime.
2.3.2 Establishing Iron Frame
- Completely fill the circle with single layer of bricks using sand and cement.
- Make circular fence around the periphery of the circle using iron mesh.
2.3.3 Placing Tarpaulin Sheet
- Tarpaulin sheet is fixed according to established iron mesh.
- Make an out let at the centre of tank connecting it with aerator.
- Firmly fix the sheet with mesh.
3. Releasing Fish
3.1 List of Spp. of Fish
Table 03. Species of fish reared in fresh water and tarpaulin tank
|S. N||Name of Fish||Sc. Name|
|2.||Cat fish||Different spp.|
3.2 Where to Purchase Seed of Fish?
Seed can be purchased from commercial farmer’s and producers. Best way to purchasing is to contact with fisheries department.
3.3 Pre-requirement before releasing Fish Seed
- Biofloc should be developed before releasing fish seed.
4. Maintenance of Fish and Biofloc
4.1 Maintenance of Biofloc
- Frequently exchange 2% of tank water with fresh water.
- Use molasses to boost biofloc if growth is already inhibited.
4.2 Regulation of Tank’s Water
Frequently regulate the tank’s water. It is easy because of installation of aerator.
5.1 Procedure of Harvesting
Harvesting is very easy. Use hand driven mesh or let out the entire water through water outlet.
Yield can vary depending on management practice. A well managed tank can produce up-to 5 q. developed fish within 4 months with.
Good management returns handy amount s. The cost benefit ratio is highly favourable. Fish Farming in Tarpaulin Fish tank requires training.
Do it with proper knowledge and after getting some experience.
- List of Crop Insurance Companies in India
- List of Faculties in an Agricultural University in India
- Bio-fertilizers for Paddy (rice) Plants
- Agriculture GK and Current Affairs
- Home Page: Agriculture Objective Multiple Choice Questions Links